MSc Computer Systems Security
In collaboration with the University of South Wales
The programme is designed for graduates with a minimum 2:2 Honours degree or equivalent. Candidates should have a computing background with very good IT skills or extensive experience of the relevant sector. However, candidates applying to the programme with non-standard qualifications will be judged on an individual basis using the University's APEL procedures.
The programme welcomes international applicants and requires, where appropriate, an English level of IELTS (International English Language Testing System) average score 6.5 or equivalent.
Γλώσσα & Διάρκεια Σπουδών
LANGUAGE OF TUITION
Courses are taught in English
DURATION OF STUDY
Full Time 1 Year and Part Time.
NEXT START DATE
Aims of the Programme
This programme focuses on the technical aspects of computer systems security and systems administration, with a particular emphasis on penetration testing. You will have the opportunity to develop an understanding necessary for the management of an information system in terms of deterrence, detection, protection and reaction to unauthorised access.
The course contains a challenging mixture of predominantly practical topics. As such, course specific assessments are largely practical and technical in nature, supplemented by computer based testing. As a student you experience computer-based, individual report, team-based, peer-review, demonstration and presentation based assessment. In addition to exam-based assessment of more widely applicable knowledge, the practical and hands-on nature of the course lends itself well to laboratory and workshop based assessment.
Our Age is characterized as “Information Age” and “Digital Age” and its benefits and contribution to industry, business, science and society, as well as a big shift from a traditional industry to an economy of information computerization, are obvious. However, all those who understand the meaning of "Digital Age" are able to perceive that under its undeniable usefulness, huge problems arise that relate to diverse threats to any computer user, independently if it concerns a single user, a shop, a small company, a large multinational organization, or a nation.
Examples are the sensitive personal data, the data of enterprises, banks, national defense, public administration, medical data, and the data of any simple user, who in one way or another is involved, either through a simple email, or with his participation in the social networks.
There are recent studies referred to these problems and documenting that most violations are due to malicious attacks made by hackers, and malicious software (malware). It is understood that the importance of safety (security) has a continuous and highly serious role in the smooth operation of computer systems. Today, the use of computer systems requires continuous operation of applications and reliable information to their users. These requirements do not simply rely on a normal backup. Additionally, they are based on the uninterrupted operation of computer systems and they ensure: Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of the data.
As a graduate of this programme you may work in: Industry Commerce, Business Data Communication, Internet and Web Applications, Ecommerce, IT support, Advanced Research, Criminal Justice, Medical, Financial and Retail. Between the job titles are the following: Technology officer, Communications Manager, Network Security Administrator, Systems Security Administrator, Data Security Analyst. You may also take leading roles in planning, organizing, managing, designing and configuring security solutions to any kind of organizations, social, political, ethical and economic.
As a student of this programme you will learn how to develop:
- A systematic understanding of knowledge, tools and techniques at the forefront of the discipline and a critical awareness of trends and developments relevant to the field of study.
- The ability to deal with complex issues both systematically and creatively, apply understanding, develop ideas, solve problems and make sound judgements, often in the absence of complete data.
- The understanding necessary for the management of an information system in terms of deterrence, detection, protection and reaction to unauthorised access.
- A comprehensive understanding of computer systems security and network security that is informed by developments at the forefront of the field and demonstrate the practical skills necessary for their secure management.
- An ability to evaluate, manage and implement security and penetration testing at the operating system and network services level.
As a programme graduate you will have:
- A comprehensive understanding of principles and practices related to areas of networks, network security and computer systems security.
- A systematic understanding of current practices, tools and techniques for the implementation and management of networks, network security and computer systems security.
- An understanding of the role and functionality of cryptography and cryptographic techniques in information security.
You will also be able to:
- Analyse an information system in terms of confidentiality, integrity and availability.
- Analyse an information system in terms of deterrence, detection, protection, reaction and recovery to unauthorised access.
- Analyse, assess and implement security in networked and distributed systems.
- Develop an information security policy, apply information security management and audit methods.
Structure of the Programme
- IS4S704 - Independent Study (20 Credit Value)
- IS4S706 - Project Management and Research Methodology (20 Credit Value)
- IS4S707 - Network Security (20 Credit Value)
- IS4S708 - Practical Unix Security (20 Credit Value)
- IS4S709 - Practical Windows Security (20 Credit Value)
- IS4S711 - Vulnerability Development (20 Credit Value)
- IY4T710 - MSc Project (60 Credit Value)
- SE4S703 - Software Development (20 Credit Value)